You can’t go wrong with bacon! This is a fun side dish for any time of the year. It can replace coleslaw in the summer, can be served room temp or warm. No Mayo, so no worries about it being in the sun. It’s a good way to get more veggies into the kids, who can resist bacon?
You can also use diced ham, Canadian bacon, etc.. It’s all good.
1/2 head of cauliflower, broken/cut apart into bite sized pieces
1 stalk of broccoli, broken/cut apart into bite sized pieces (stalk removed)
1.5 cups (1/2 large) white onions, diced
3 large cloves of garlic, diced
3-4 strips of bacon, cooked, and crumbled. Fat reserved.
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS bacon fat
1/2 TBS Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp of sugar (optional – depending on taste)
- Get a large sauce pot. Fill with water and add about 1 TBS of salt. Bring to a slow boil.
- Prepare a large bowl with Cold/Ice water
- When the water is boiling, add the cauliflower and broccoli. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into the cold water, until they are cool.
- Drain in a colander over an empty bowl so all the water is drained.
- In the mean time, in a large sauté pan, heat it over med heat and cook the bacon until crisp.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels. when cool enough to touch, crumble them.
- Pour off all but 1 TBS of bacon fat. Add the olive oil to it, keeping over med heat.
- Add in the garlic and onions and sauté for about 2 – 3 minutes. Stirring so they don’t crisp or burn.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Add in 1 TBS of the vinegar, the Dijon mustard, bacon and pepper.
- taste. Adjust seasoning (add more vinegar, pepper, salt if necessary, sugar if too tart)
- Pat the broccoli and cauliflower dry and place into a dry large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss well to coat the veggies.
- Taste, adjust again if needed.
Let sit at room temp or serve immediately. If you make in advance, refrigerate, and about 30 minutes before serving, re-heat in a large skillet, tossing/stirring every minutes. Should only take about 5 – 7 minutes to re-heat. taste again and adjust if necessary.
For a little bit of a crunch, you can top with chopped peanuts or almonds.