Heading to an outdoor gathering and don’t know what to bring? How about something that can be outside and not spoil? Easy, quick and tasty? Not to mention light on the budget and waist line?
How about some marinated cucumbers. the longer they sit, the better they are. Of course that is coming from a HUGE pickle lover. It takes not time to put together, but is best if it can site over night in the fridge. The cucumbers soften, soak up the dressing and taste ohh so good. In fact, they make good toppings for burger, hot dogs, sausage, etc. A great condiment or in place of coleslaw for any barbecue.
2 large english cucumbers (you can use regular, but you will have to peel as most peels are bitter. The english cucumber as less seeds and a tasty skin).
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tsp kosher salt
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS red pepper flakes (more or omit if you wish, adds a nice kick)
1 small white onion, cut in 1/2 or 1/4 and sliced very thin (use a sharp knife, food processor or mandolin)
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 TBS fresh / dried Dill for that real pickle impact – it still tastes good without
fresh ground black pepper
- Slice the cucumbers not paper-thin, but just a little thicker.
- In a large bowl, add all the other ingredients (except the onion) and whisk like heck.
- Add the onion and cucumber slices to the dressing.
- Transfer to a glass dish, cover in plastic and refrigerate at least 4 hours, over night is best
- Stir once or twice.
- Stir again before serving.
It is that easy and a welcome lean dish to all those other fatty recipes I have.
Have a great summer!