This is good for a rub on salmon and white fish or mixed with flour/breadcrumbs for a fish fry coating.
Extra can be stored in an air-tight container or in a ziplock bag with the extra air squeezed out.
Seafood Rub (makes about 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup Oldbay seasoning
- 1 TBS fresh ground pepper
- ½ TBS salt (or omit, the Oldbay seasoning does contain salt)
- 2 TBS lemon peel (or lemon zest)
- 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 TBS paprika
- 2 TBS thyme leaves (or 1 TBS powdered thyme)
- 1TBS celery seed (or .5 TBS celery salt – just omit any other salt)
- 1 TBS ginger powder
- 2 TBS dried cilantro
Combine all in a bowl and mix well.
Use as a rub on fish, shell fish or poultry. Can also be combined with sour cream or mayonnaise for a dip or condiment on sandwiches, seafood cakes, etc.. If using as a condiment, add in rough chopped capers and/or gerkins to create a tarter sauce. You can even toss with potatoes or cauliflower to give them a little zip as a side dish.
You can also use fresh lime or lemon juice squeezed over the items when cooking.